Sunday, October 18, 2015

Frisco Youth Theatre Spotlight #3




Frisco Youth Theatre Volunteer Blog   
by: Kimberly Hunt


Ever since I can remember I have loved singing, dancing and acting. I was fortunate enough that my parents had the time and money to support my education in these areas. As a kid, I was involved in private voice lessons with Kaye Wright, school talent shows & plays at Carlisle/Schimelpfenig, competition dance at Miss Billy's School of Dance, classes at Young Actors Studio and productions at Plano Children's Theatre. I even convinced my mother I needed an agent! Being an actress is all I ever wanted to do with my life until I grew up and "life" happened. My family moved from Plano, TX to Stillwater, OK when I was 14 years old. The local high school did not even have an auditorium at the time. Still, I went on to eventually graduate from Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK with a BA in Theatre that came with an extensive acting resume. 

My parents encouraged me upon graduating college to "get a job with benefits". It was time for me to completely fend for myself. I ended up working as an Account Executive at Stillwater Radio. I loved this because my boss would allow me to go on auditions whenever I wanted and I even got to write and voice over many of my clients' commercials. My father took notice of my new found sales skills and set me up with an interview at his old company to help me get a "big boy" sales job. At the same time, I had been going on many auditions and was not booking anything substantial. Finally, when I did book something noteworthy, they wanted to film at the same time I was going to head off for training for my new sales job.

I had a choice to make. I ended up picking a stable career in sales that I am proud to say has lasted seven years so far. I am now married to my best friend that I have known since I was fifteen. We have a handsome little one year old boy, a home in Frisco and a Morkie named Sassy.

While my career has been demanding, my company, Netsertive, recently implemented Volunteer Time Off. I decided that I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity and give back to my first love, Theatre. I was so excited when I contacted Plano Children's Theatre to learn that Frisco Youth Theatre has been established. I am looking forward to working with everyone to bring valuable experiences to the youth in this area that only theatre can provide. I hope to update you all as I continue on this new journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment